Mamaw’s Lemony Lemon Pie
Mamaw’s recipe box is organized by recipe type. When I started thinking about what I’d like to fix next out of the box I kept going back to her lemon pie. She use to make it specifically for me at all of the holiday events. She also would make the best lemonade I’ve ever had, with real lemons floating on top. One day though I found out her secret was Crystal Light and she added a few lemons to give it a little bit of a homemade lemonade look.
I found two recipes going through the “Pie” section of the box. I decided to try her Lemony Lemon Meringue Pie. Reading the directions I was a little concerned about the baking time of the pie so I will admit I did cook it longer than the three minutes it states in the recipe. I’m a bit weird though when it comes to making sure eggs are fully cooked. I won’t even eat an egg that has a runny yolk or take a bite of spaghetti carbonara because I don’t like the cook time of the eggs.
The recipe below is just as she wrote it out on her index cards but please note if you want to cook your pie longer you can. I cooked mine for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. After making it I realized this was not the same lemon pie she always made for me. Looks like I’ll be continuing the hunt for that recipe in the box.
Lemony Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 pie shell baked
- 1 can Eagle Brand milk
- 1/2 cup real lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 2 egg yolks don't discard the egg whites
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat over to 425 degrees.
- In a bowl combine milk and lemon juice.
- Blend in egg yolks.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tarter until fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over pie filling to edge of crust.
- Bake for 3 minutes.*
- Once meringue is finished chill for 2 hours.