Mamaw’s Banana Nut Bread
I found mamaw’s recipe for her banana bread and thought I’d give it a try. Banana bread has been a popular bread since the 1930s and has popping up in cook books ever since. I can see why banana bread has stuck around for so long. It’s perfect as banana nut bread if you want a semi-sweet bread to serve with your breakfast. Want it for more of a dessert? You can add a hand full of chocolate chips to the mix. My one tip is to buy really ripe bananas if you don’t want to have to wait three or four days for your bananas to ripen.
Banana Nut Bread
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas make sure they are really ripe
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups all purpose flour sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chopped nuts I prefer walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour bread loaf pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream Crisco, sugar and eggs.
- Mix in mashed banana and lemon juice to bowl.
- To creamed mixture mix in sifted flour, salt and baking powder.
- Mix in nuts.
- Pour into prepared loaf plan.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes (make suer to check the oven at 45 minutes and see if done).